Friday, April 28, 2006

The "what matters most" offer !

The B-school journey app journey has been a tiring one...and one of the key ingredients which helped me survive was the blog community here...and keeping my sanity as I read the blogs of various people and connected with em (so what if I did not make it to the top 10 blogs of the 24 nominated blogs - sour grapes..sulk!)

so to pay back to the mba-applicant blogging community...I am making an interesting offer....to read Stanford essays for next year for 5 applicants, who (if they take up this offer) must:

1) Blog about their application experience (during and after)
2) Promise to provide the same sort of feedback to 5 more applicants the year after
3) Are applying to Stanford
4) Will buy me a pitcher of beer, if they get in !

I will do only upto 3 iterations.
The reason that Im making this offer, is not to compete with admissions consultants (and no I do not aspire to be an admissions consultant or an ADCOM member after my MBA degree - though it does sound like a lucrative business, but my writing skills are far from well developed): I'm doing this to provide feedback (based on what I have learned) to share from my experience, in case you overlooked something.

So if someone wants to take up the offer for these five spots, message me at [ ashblog &t gmail d^t com] and I will post your blog link to my site and will provide you feedback on the app process

cheers
ash

Disclaimer: I am sure that B-school will get hectic, but I will try to mantain a turn around time of 1 week. I will provide only feedback, which may or may not improve the quality of your application. It will be upto you, the applicant, to put the feedback into context with your overall app strategy and do what you think needs to be done. If I do land up working in the Stanford student adcom, then I will not review your app incase I come across it.....
Further, feedback provided my include comments like "barf", "glib", etc...the applicant must have tremendous character to withstand some very honest feedback (blame the Dutch...I lost my political correctness in this country)

7 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

will you review my Wharton essays? [ the kellogg thing isnt looking bright, and i dont think i will manage those beers you promised to buy me at evanston ;( ]

anyways, jokes apart - you surely put up a lucrative offer, and its a great offer for any Stanford applicant.

have a great weekend.

2:49 PM  
Blogger i_will_make_it said...

Nice! Sounds like the "pay it forward" strategy. That's great you're initiating this. Props to you, man.

7:02 PM  
Blogger SgHama said...

That is a wonderful offer and I would take you up on it if i was going to apply to stanford :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

Hey Ash this is an awesome gesture.. I have dropped you an email.
In the post you have mistakenly given ashblob as if I think it should be ashblog :)

6:53 AM  
Blogger ... j said...

congratulations on Stanford, best of luck, and an even bigger congratualtions on losing your Political Correctness :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger i_will_make_it said...

So, what's this new Stanford blog I see under your profile? :-)

11:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great offer! Let's say cheers to that.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home