Saturday, January 21, 2006

Do members of the ADCOM read blogs?

Im wondering about this bcos I have seen people post some interesting (and honest) comments and then deleting them later, perhaps thinking...aahh..what if someone read that...it might change their perception of me?

SO THE QUESTION IS: do ADCOM members read student blogs and does it influence the decision making process?

In principle, members of the ADCOM should not be influenced by what they read off the net. But here lies the dilemma, some of us are rather honest on our blogs and that offers more insight into who we are. My blogs reek insecurity on occasions (which might be percieved negatively by someone). Not all blogs are anonymous (mine isnt!), and thus it is easy for someone from the adcom to trace my app. Hence, if a member of the adcom comes across my blog, should he/she take it into consideration? (after all, this site represents another data point). Could his/her judgement be influenced (negatively or positively) by what he/she reads?

Given that ethics is (and should be) a strong focus in b schools, should adcom members take into account what they come across (perhaps accidently) on our blog sites or in the spirit of neutrality not even explore this domain?

Perhaps I have not been very coherent about I am trying to say, but if someone understands what I trying to say, Id really appreciate some comments. How open are we all / how open should we all be on our blog sites?

cheers
Ash

3 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I've often wondered about this. I am sure that if a person posts in the forums with their blog address as their signature an adcom person might click the link out of interest/boredom. I don't know if they can use anything they read in the blog as part of their evaluation. I mean, what would they do? Print out a page screen and add it to the file? Hmm...the mysteries of the admissions process.

8:22 PM  
Blogger FooBarMe said...

Personally, I dont think that adcom would really take the time to figure out the person and then use the contents of the blog to influence the admissions decisons.

Most schools tout the ethical way of doing things. A lot of schools almost always mention things like the "one packet" rule where one may not be able to supply additional information. I think that using something like a blog would be just wrong when the applicant is not submit addtional relevant information.

Just my 2 cents.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

so one can assume that our thoughts here cannot be used to evaluate us in any form? (i hope that is the case)
-A

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home