Thursday, January 12, 2006

Who am I and why do I want to do an MBA?

I got an email from someone out there (which is encouraging to hear that Im not rambling alone and that atleast a few people read my blogs), asking me, who am I and why am I considering an MBA?

About me:
Ash
Male
28 yrs old
Married w/ wife
Have a dog
Love fusion cooking
Can read palms of women (men..only when im not drunk)
Born in India
Undergrad in India
Masters Stanford (CA)- college beerpong champion
Working and living in The Netherlands for 4 years now(and yes I speak some Dutch)
Most of my business in The Middle East, US and CIS countries
and I do eat cows (not Indian cows though)

Why do I want an MBA
It took me two years to arrive at this answer. And I need to thank my wife for this as she pushed me out of my comfort zone, where I have a decent secure job where I am reasonably recognized.
Im in the energy business. In this business people do not react kindly to MBAs, infact they are generally distrusted. However, this business has perhaps the most archiac management techniques you will ever come across (which can also be a good thing sometimes). Bottom line is that I see enormous amounts of inefficiency around me, in terms of investment decision procedures, organisational set up, management procedures, etc.

Doing an MBA will not impact my salary at all, infact it will hurt me a little, as I will miss out on two years of "seniority" (the structure in oil companies is very much like civil service), but I am driven by the belief that an MBA will broaden my horizons and allow me to be extremely efficient (and hopefully revolutionary - power to the people) when I return to this industry, a few years later.

so my reasons are
1) bring about some fundamental change in the way the energy industry works by learning about management procedures and tools
2) Sharpen my wits - i would like to spend some time with people from different fields and hear their views and basically sharpen my wits by immersing myself in a pool of extremely smart and ambitious people
3) build a network - I already feel connected to a few people out there, and Im not even in Bschool. Im sure networks help a lot
4) Sample something different out there, just in case I feel Im better at something else (GOOGLE watch out)

So these are my reasons. What are/were yours?

cheers
Ash

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a reason: money. I start my MBA program at BNC. Good luck Ash.

9:54 PM  
Blogger HouseThat said...

hey did you graduated from ISM Dhanbad???

10:35 PM  
Blogger KarvinRulez!! said...

I am aiming HBS..
U got ne advice dude??

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home