Friday, March 17, 2006

Is this worth it?

Just saw this string of posts on the Wharton S2S....this is totally psycho !
1) If this is a joke...then it is done in really poor taste and I am glad that such a person has not been admitted
2) If it is real....then...my question is...is it worth it? does an admission to a program define the fabric of our existence? does it define our ability to attain success in our lives? I think not...and sure hope not !

i just hope though that this was a joke in bad taste !
-Ash

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From:   Riv08           Mar-16 8:29 pm 
To:     FANATICALFAN  (10 of 14)       
       
Just out of curiosity, did anyone commit suicide because of a ding?
One of my friends did over a school admission...well it wasn't Wharton MBA because she killed herself over a rejection from a college. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From:   Riv08   Mar-16 10:47 pm        
To:     teladan          (12 of 14)    
               
Unfortunately this is a real story, and this is exactly what I am going to do after this message. It will be all over by midnight.

I perfectly understood that an MBA application required taking a huge emotional risk. I also understood that an MBA is just means to an end. However, I realized that I didn't like the fact that the admissions committee had so much power over my well-being. Many people take the rejection well, and move on. I am not one of these people. Therefore, I will leave. I am just too tired to continue with anything else.

The main reason for this posting is that I want to show the admissions committee how much power they have on someone's life. It hurts to even think that they will continue business as usual. I do understand my life means nothing to many people. Admissions committee, please do know that you can kill one person, even without intention.

I really should not have applied, because on one hand, I do want to continue living. Well, last addition, I already took what I had to take so I guess this is it...no more second thoughts...bye

Edited 3/16/2006 11:21 pm ET by Riv08

Edited 3/16/2006 11:23 pm ET by Riv08
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

rejections in bschools is not worth dying for, atleast for me, but i wont be very surprised if someone feels differently. i have heard many cases (quite a few when i was in high school) where people committed suicide just because they couldnt pass their exams...

i wish that was not the case here, but to me, this is something that can pretty much happen.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yikes

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A ding can be a hit to the ego and I can sympathize with people who are dinged; it seems like a great deal of work "down the sh*tter."

Dings ARE NOT personal and being accepted into your choice MBA is very difficult. There are no shoe-ins anymore and even legacy people are being dinged (I knew of a guy whose father and grandfather both attended Wharton. He was dinged twice).

Put your best foot forward and give your most sincere and most honest effort. That is what counts.

MBA AdComs are looking for a melting pot of people and if you fit into a particular pot that contains a few hundred people, then realize the competition will be very tough.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Le Voyageur said...

yikes. not to sound callous, but what are the chances that this individual could have handled the pressures of b-school if he/she couldn't handle an acceptance ding? wharton has many a superstar, so the level of performance is only kicked up several notches after matriculation. given the volume of dings that nearly everyone gets when interviewing for a summer internship and the number that it does on one's ego, its probably a good thing that this individual was not accepted into school in the first place. let's hope that this was a joke, or that riv08 reconsidered this course of action.

7:33 PM  
Blogger BigAppleNosh said...

Wow. I really hope this was a bad joke on the part of Riv08.

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... been reading your blog for quite a while now... jus wondering .. are you a mech. engr. by training? jus curious... where did u get your undergrad degree

- Pamela

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am depressed by actions such as these.
Most schools have a rigid admission process, and admit students with great employment prospects (that keeps them high in rankings), but do little in terms of value add (except perhaps networking opportunities).
They certainly aren't worth committing suicides for.
The school can't be blamed, the person who committed suicide can't be blamed. Perhaps the lack of opportunities for those who are less competitive in "certain" areas is what needs to be looked into. Or, do we give the Charles Darwin's principle a free hand?

4:49 AM  
Blogger MBABlogger said...

This is shocking..

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home